The American Center Asmara strives to encourage dialogue with you, Eritrean audiences, and inspire collaboration around shared Eritrean and U.S. values. Offering a wide array of cultural and educational programs, the Center works to increase people-to-people engagement by instilling good will and deepening mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of Eritrea.
The American Center offers:
- Free Internet access for the public
- American Culture Quiz Contests
- Book Readers Group
- Children’s Reading Program
- English Language Class for Adults
- English Language Discussion Group
- Internet for Beginners
- Movie Night
- Robotics Class
- Speakers’ Series
- Webinar Speakers Series
- Women’s Discussion Group
- YALI (Young African Leaders Initiative) Network
Reference Books and Periodicals
We maintain a modest collection of reference materials. Our collection of periodicals includes Time, Newsweek, International Herald Tribune, Wall Street Journal, Current History, Fortune, Foreign Affairs, Journal of Comparative Law, Harper’s, Atlantic Monthly, Reader’s Digest, Smithsonian, Journal of Democracy, National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, PC World, and others.
Platform for Educational Testing Service (ETS) general test
The IRC provides access to a wealth of information via free internet access, including:
Free Access Online Services
- eLibraryUSA – requires membership of American Center Asmara for password
- IIP Digital – features the latest from the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of International Information Programs
- THOMAS Legislative Information on the Internet
- U.S. Government Printing Office
- Library of Congress – the largest library in the world
- Smithsonian Institution – history, science, and technology museums
Commercial Online Services
Economics and Business in General
Legislative and Regulatory Information
Education and Cultural Exchanges
U.S. Society and Values
- Yahoo! People Search
- Law Resources
- Welcome to Who Where
- US Search: the one-stop access to record and information
- Presidential Visits Abroad
- The USA City Link Project
Virtual Library, Archives and Information Sources
- For all sorts of information about the United States
- The official site of the U.S. Department of State
- The Smithsonian Institution, the world’s most extensive museum and research collection
- The Supreme Court
- FirstGov the portal to the entire United States government with access to 20,000 sites.
- For general reference
- Google – an excellent search engine
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hours of Operation
The American Center is open:
Monday – Friday
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
We are closed on Sundays and all official American and Eritrean holidays.
To Contact Us:
The American Center is open Tuesday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Center is closed for all official American and Eritrean holidays.
Daero Street House # 65
P.O. Box 211
For any further information, you can reach us through the following links:
To contact the Public Affairs Section e-mail here.
On issues regarding the website email the webmaster.
For all other inquiries, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also find us on facebook.