Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Asmara, March 27, 2020
Event: The Eritrean Ministry of Health has six confirmed cases of COVID-19.
On March 26, the Eritrean Ministry of Health released a fifth Public Announcement regarding COVID-19 in Eritrea. The language of this announcement is available on the website shabait.com (http://shabait.com/news/local-news/30367-ministry-of-health-public-announcement-no-5).
The government of Eritrea has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Schools and universities are closed until further notice. Sporting events, festivals, and gatherings larger than 10 people have been banned. Public transportation has stopped services until further notice. Visit the Eritrean government website (shabait.com) for updated information.
Registering Interest in Future Flight
The Government of Eritrea announced the closure of Asmara International Airport effective at 12:00 a.m. March 26. Land borders are also closed.
If you want to return to the United States but you are unable to book a flight, please register your interest by emailing ConsularAsmara@state.gov using the subject line: “Repatriation Interest.” In your email please provide the following for each traveler:
- Full name
- U.S. passport number
- Date of birth
- Email Address
- Phone number
- A photograph of the biographical information page of your passport
Only send an email with this information if you are interested in immediately departing for the United States. There is no need to call the Embassy to confirm receipt of your email. We will use the contact information you provide to communicate about any possible additional commercial flight(s) soon. If you have questions or concerns about other matters, please contact our email address.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- S. Embassy Asmara, Eritrea
179 Alaa Street
+291 1 120004
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Eritrea Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/eritrea-travel-advisory.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/usembassyasmara/)