Restrictions are in place throughout the country to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Government offices have suspended many routine services. Some non-essential businesses are closed; essential businesses close at 8 p.m. Public transportation has stopped services until further notice and most private cars are banned from the road. Visit the Eritrean government website (shabait.com) for updates as they are announced.
The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy is open from 8:00-12:00 daily for in-person emergency American Citizen Services only. American citizens who need assistance can call the Embassy at +291 120004 at any time. To help with social distancing, only one person or group is allowed into the Consular Section at a time. Making a phone call, instead of a visit, will enable us to more quickly assist you.
Registering Interest in Future Flight
The Government of Eritrea suspended commercial airline flights in and out of Eritrea on March 26. Land borders are also closed.
Since the March 26 airport closure, the U.S. Embassy arranged three evacuation flights to assist U.S. Citizens to return to the United States. The most recent flight departed on July 31. No Embassy-organized evacuation flights are presently scheduled or in the process of being arranged. U.S. citizens who would like to return to the United States if there is another evacuation flight should register this interest with the Consular Section. U.S. citizens who have a medical or other emergency need to travel should contact the Consular Section, which will do its best to assist. There are sometimes specially approved flights that may be able to take U.S. citizen passengers. There may not be much advance warning of a flight, so travelers should be ready on short notice. If you want to return to the United States, please register your interest by emailing ConsularAsmara@state.gov using the subject line: “Repatriation Interest.” In your email please provide the following for each traveler:
- Full name
- Passport Number
- Passport expiration date
- Date of birth
- Email Address
- Phone number
- Eritrean ID Number
- Date of arrival in Eritrea
- Cancelled Flight Information: If you had commercial airlines tickets to return to the U.S. which were cancelled or you were unable to use, please provide this information.
- Emergency Circumstances: Third party charter flights have limited seating and often only board those with an emergency. If you have such circumstances, please provide us with the details so that we can assist.
We will use the contact information you provide to let you know of future U.S. Embassy organized repatriation flights, third party flights that we become aware of for which you qualify, and any possible additional commercial flight(s). If you have questions or concerns about other matters, please contact our email at ConsularAsmara@state.gov or call the Embassy.
Note: Evacuation flights are not free-of-charge and are frequently more expensive than commercial travel.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting -COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information
- Visit the country information page on travel.state.gov for information on Eritrea
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
U.S. Embassy Asmara, Eritrea
179 Alaa Street Asmara, Eritrea +291 1 120004
State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444