Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 100,000 reported cases worldwide.
On March 11, the Eritrean Ministry of Health released a Public Announcement regarding the potential for COVID-19 in Eritrea. The language of the announcement is available on shabait.com here. This Eritrean government announcement urges potential travelers to postpone travel to Eritrea.
The government of Eritrea has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit shabait.com for possible updates.
CDC has issued a Global Level 2 Travel Notice.
U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling to Eritrea except for essential travel.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Eritrea.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.