The Eritrean High Level Task Force on COVID-19 has confirmed eighteen cases of COVID-19.
On April 1, the Eritrean High Level Task Force on COVID-19 released new guidelines regarding fighting COVID-19 in Eritrea. The language of this announcement is available on the Eritrean government website shabait.com (http://www.shabait.com/news/local-news/30407-guidelines-from-the-high-level-task-force-on-covid-19).
The government of Eritrea has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. All citizens are required to stay at home except for grocery shopping and emergency medical care. Government services are no longer providing routine services. Non-essential businesses are closed; essential businesses close at 8 p.m. Public transportation has stopped services until further notice and private cars are banned from the road. The government has announced it will impose “punitive measures” against citizens and institutions that violate these guidelines. Visit the Eritrean government website (shabait.com) for updated information.
In accordance with these regulations, the Embassy has closed the Consular Section and cancelled all routine visa and American Citizen Services appointments. In the case of an emergency, please call 07622414 for English or 07186629 for Tigrinya.
Registering Interest in Future Flight
The Government of Eritrea announced the closure of Asmara International Airport effective at 12:00 a.m. March 26. Land borders are also closed.
If you want to return to the United States but you are unable to book a flight, please register your interest by emailing ConsularAsmara@state.gov using the subject line: “Repatriation Interest.” In your email please provide the following for each traveler:
- Full name
- U.S. passport number
- Date of birth
- Email Address
- Phone number
- A photograph of the biographical information page of your passport
Only send an email with this information if you are interested in immediately departing for the United States. There is no need to call the Embassy to confirm receipt of your email. We will use the contact information you provide to communicate about any possible additional commercial flight(s) soon. If you have questions or concerns about other matters, please contact our email address.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Asmara, Eritrea
179 Alaa Street
+291 1 120004
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Eritrea Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook