Embassy of the United States of America
October 17, 2017
In 2014, banks in Eritrea stopped accepting for deposit or cash U.S. Federal Benefits checks. As a temporary solution, in May 2015, the U.S. Embassy began cashing these checks for beneficiaries. Effective immediately, the Embassy is no longer able to provide this service and beneficiaries are not able to cash checks at the Embassy.
To discuss this issue and Federal Benefits in general, the American Citizen Services section of the U.S. Embassy will hold and Information Session. All American citizens are welcome.
Wednesday, October 25, 2017
American Center, Geza Banda
- Video Conference with Federal Benefits Representative in Rome
- Changes in services at the Embassy
- How to apply for a Social Security Number
- How to apply for Federal Benefits / Retirement Benefits
See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information, including Country Specific Information for Eritrea.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- The U.S. Embassy in Asmara is located at Alaa Street 179, P.O. Box 211, Asmara, Eritrea. Contact us at (291) 1-12-00-04, 4:30-5:00PM Monday – Thursday and 11:30-1:30 p.m. on Friday. Email the Consular Section at ConsularAsmara@state.gov. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (291) 1-12-00-04. The Embassy’s website is https://er.usembassy.gov.