U.S. Citizen Services Information
Non-emergency U.S. Citizen Services by Appointment Only
The U.S. Citizen Services Section of the U.S. Embassy in Asmara is open and provides routine services weekly on Thursdays by appointment only. To schedule, please email email@example.com or call the consular section Monday through Thursday from 4PM to 5PM or Friday from 11:30AM to 1:30PM at (+291)1-12-0004. You may also schedule online here .
- Documents: Bring your U.S. Passport, U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or other photo ID if you are not a citizen or resident of the United States.
- Security Screening: All visitors are subject to security screening. Electronic devices, including cell phones, are not permitted inside the facility.
- Face Masks: All visitors must wear a face mask. Please note, visitors are expected to provide their own face masks.
- Social Distancing: Embassy staff will assign visitors to a designated area within the waiting room; please remain in that area until called to the window.
U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the United States using a U.S. passport.
If you are overseas and your U.S. passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021.
You qualify for this exception if all the following are true:
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- You are currently abroad seeking direct return to the United States.
- You are flying directly to the United States, a United States territory, or have only short-term transit (“connecting flights”) through a foreign country on your direct return to the United States or to a United States Territory.
- Your expired passport was originally valid for 10 years. Or, if you were 15 years of age or younger when the passport was issued, your expired passport was valid for 5 years.
- Your expired passport is undamaged.
- Your expired passport is unaltered.
- Your expired passport is in your possession.
You do not qualify for this exception if:
- You wish to depart from the United States to an international destination.
- You are currently abroad seeking to travel to a foreign country for any length of stay longer than an airport connection en route to the United States or to a United States territory.
- Your expired passport was limited in validity.
Your expired passport is a special issuance passport (such as a diplomatic, official, service, or no-fee regular passport).
- Your expired passport is damaged.
- Your expired passport is altered.
- Your expired passport is not in your possession.
All other passport rules and regulations remain in effect. The Department of Homeland Security maintains discretion to reject any bearer in accordance with 22 CFR 53.2(b)(7) and 8 CFR 235.1(b)
Welcome to the U.S. Citizen Services website of the U.S. Embassy in Asmara. The consular section is committed to providing information and assistance to U.S. citizens visiting or living in Asmara.
The U.S. Embassy in Asmara regularly provides U.S. Citizen Services such as passports, birth and death certificates, notarials, as well as tax and voting information. We also provide assistance if a U.S. citizen is arrested or hospitalized.
For specific information on a routine consular service, please click on a link from the menu on the left side.
You may also visit the State Department’s Website to read about the Consular Information Program.