U.S. Citizen Services and Departure Flight Registration
Non-emergency U.S. Citizen Services by Appointment Only
Absent an emergency requiring immediate attention, unscheduled walk-in appointments will not be allowed. All visitors will be required to wear a mask and practice social distancing.
Appointments can be made through the following means:
- For questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For appointments, visit https://er.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
- You can call the consular section on Tuesday or Thursday from 9AM to 12PM at (+291)1-12-0004. To make an appointment, you must provide –
- Name on your U.S. Passport or U.S. Permanent Resident Card
- U.S. Passport Number or Alien Registration Number
- Documents: Bring U.S. Passport or U.S. Permanent Resident Card.
- Security Screening: All visitors are subject to security screening and will not be permitted to bring electronic devices, including cell phones, inside the facility.
- Face Masks: All visitors must wear a face mask. Please note, visitors are expected to provide their own face masks.
- Social Distancing: To maintain proper social distancing, Embassy staff will assign visitors to a designated area within the waiting room; please remain in that area until called to the window.
Departure Flight Registration
U.S. Citizens and U.S. Legal Permanent Residents seeking to depart Eritrea by air should register their interest with the Embassy’s consular section.
- We strongly encourage you to register so that we can contact you if we arrange an Embassy charter flight or learn of a third-party charter flight. To register, please contact us by internet or telephone (see section above). If this is an Embassy-organized flight, all seats will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. This means that those who register earlier will be given priority.
- We also encourage you to register with the Eritrean government’s Consular Affairs Section who control the passenger manifest for any upcoming Eritrean government organized charter flights.
Welcome to the U.S. Citizen Services website of the U.S. Embassy in Asmara. The consular section is committed to providing information and assistance to U.S. citizens visiting or living in Asmara.
The U.S. Embassy in Asmara regularly provides U.S. Citizen Services such as passports, birth and death certificates, notarials, as well as tax and voting information. We also provide assistance if a U.S. citizen is arrested or hospitalized.
For specific information on a routine consular service, please click on a link from the menu on the left side.
You may also visit the State Department’s Website to read about the Consular Information Program.