Passport Services

All applicants need to personally appear at the U.S. Embassy for all passport services. We highly recommend that you fill out the required forms before coming into the U.S. Embassy. Forms are available through the links below and hard copies are available at the American Center located in Geza Banda (former Sudanese Embassy).

All non-emergency passports are produced in the United States, and the average processing time is ten working days. Please plan ahead and schedule your travel accordingly. You will retain your old passport until your new passport is ready, at which time we will cancel and return your old passport. Visas in the canceled passport will remain valid.

If you are applying for a passport for a child under age 16, both parents and the child need to be present unless one parent presents an original court order for sole custody, a death certificate for the other parent, or an original notarized DS-3053 Statement of Consent (PDF 51.5 KB) (with passport or other ID copy attached) from the absent parent.

All passport services require an online appointment. All consular fees are payable in U.S. dollars or the nakfa equivalent.

Social Security Numbers (SSN) are mandatory when applying for a U.S. passport.   All applicants must provide a SSN on the DS-11 or DS-82 when applying for a new U.S. passport or renewing their U.S. passport.  If an applicant has a SSN and fails to provide it on the application, the application will be denied.  If an applicant has never been issued a SSN, s/he will may apply for an SSN at the time of submitting the application or will need to sign a sworn statement in front of the Consular Officer stating that a SSN was never issued to him/her.

If you have never had a U.S. passport before, you must first establish U.S. citizenship.  Please visit our section Apply for Citizenship on how to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for your child born outside of the United States.

You may replace a lost or stolen passport by providing the documents listed below. Passports reported lost or stolen are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel. We highly recommend that you fill out the required forms online and print them or pick them up at the American Center before coming into the U.S. Embassy.

To replace your lost or stolen passport, please make an appointment using our online appointment system.

The requirements to replace a lost or stolen passport are generally the same as if renewing a passport:

  • Applicant (or child and both parents) must appear in person
  • Original police report from the country where the passport was lost or stolen (with English translation if applicable)
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship and/or identity (e.g., passport copy, valid U.S. driver’s license, government-issued photo ID, etc.)
  • If under age 16: original birth certificate and both parents’ valid passports
  • DS-11 passport form (blank PDF (58 KB) or fill out online and print)
  • DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (blank PDF (58 KB) to print, fill out, and bring)
  • 1 passport photo
  • Fees: $105 USD or nakfa equivalent (for applicants under age 16), $135 USD or nakfa equivalent (for applicants age 16 and over)

If you have an emergency and need to travel immediately but your current U.S. passport is not valid or in your possession, you may be eligible for an Emergency Passport. Please follow the instructions for renewing your passport or replacing your lost/stolen passport. You may contact the Consular section to request an expedited appointment.