Lost/Stolen/Expired Green Cards

Please read carefully, there are very recent changes to this process.

If your Green Card has been lost or stolen, the U.S. Embassy may be able to issue you a Boarding Foil, so that you may travel back to the United States to apply for a new Green Card with the Department of Homeland Security. Please follow these instructions:

  1. Please make an online appointment for “notary/other”,
  2. Fill out Form I-131A,
  3. $360 (please note that this fee will increase to $575 in January 2017)*,*If you plan to file a Form I-131A to apply for a LPR boarding foil, please note that you must pay the filing fee online on the USCIS website before appearing in person at a consular section.  Information on the new form and fee is located here. You must bring evidence of payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page, when you appear in person to file Form I-131A. As with all immigration fees, USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application.
  4. One photograph 5cm x 5cm on a white background,
  5. Original valid passport,
  6. Convincing evidence of status as a Legal Permanent Residence (copy of valid Green Card, DHS stamps in passport, etc.), and
  7. Convincing evidence that you have been out of the U.S. for less than one year (DHS stamps, airline ticket stubs, etc.)

You may find additional information on and instructions for the I-131A on the I-131A Form and Instructions page.

If you are not able to provide convincing evidence of your current LPR status or you have been absent from the U.S. more than one year, we will not be able to issue a Boarding Foil. You will need either to have a new Immigrant Visa petition filed on your behalf or file a petition for a Returning Resident Visa at our Embassy in Addis Ababa or Nairobi.